For any Salesforce Admin or developer, if there is a requirement to mass update multiple field attributes like length, label, Description or Help Text (or any other attribute) for all Custom Fields in a custom object, it would be tedious job to open and update each field one by one using Salesforce Standard process. These type of work requests would take much more effort and time.
To overcome this situation and save user precious time, there is an app exchange tool called Salesforce Bulk Object Field Creator (BOFC).
Benefits of using BOFC Application for updating fields:
- Supports all field types
- Multiple fields of an object can be updated in single click
- User can update fields using excel as well
- Easy, Simple, Clickable process to update fields.
Few Simple Steps to Bulk Field Updation in Salesforce
1. Open the BOFC Home > Click “Bulk Field Updation“
2. It will open below screen for BOFC Update Fields
3. Select the “object” name from the drop down and here user can perform two actions:
- Click on “Preview Existing Custom Fields”
On clicking this button, this will display all the custom fields in tabular format and user can update field attributes for all fields. (refer step 4 for next step)
In case, if there are many fields and multiple attributes to update, I will recommend to go with second option (Download as xls)
Click on “Download as xls”
On clicking this button, it will export all the custom fields in form of excel. User can open the excel and can update all the fields and save it in excel. Now once excel is ready, this excel can be easily imported on BOFC Update field page. Please refer below section for more details./p>
- Click on Download as xls and wait for couple of seconds for process to complete
- User can click on  as per above screenshot to download all custom fields
- Open excel and modify your field details and save file as xls or xlsx
- Open your BOFC Update Field page and drag or select your excel file.
- Refer step 4 for next steps.
4. Displays all the custom fields in tabular format
Above image has many features (each number has its description as below):
- User can select fields by checking checkboxes infront of each row
- Each row columns are enabled or disabled depending upon field type. User can update the field attributes which are editable (scroll the tables and it will show more columns)
- Total Field Count on page & Selected field count (for update)
- Pagination – This page has a pagination if count of fields is more than 80. Each page shows 80 fields. User can use “>” or “<” or “<<” or “>>” buttons to navigate on other pages.
- Update Multiple Custom Fields– On clicking this button, it will update all the selected fields for object.
5. Select the Fields which you want update by selecting checkbox infront of each row.
6. Once fields are selected, Click “Update Multiple Custom Fields” button to Update fields for an object
7. Once the Update action is completed, it will show “Success or Error” status message infront of each row.
All the field attributes like (label, API name, description, help text, etc) can be updated for multiple fields in few clicks
Below is the AppExchange URL for this application